Shipping your car is an easy and straightforward process, but if you are doing it for the first time, you need to keep some things in mind to ensure your cars safety and the smooth delivery. We will discuss all of those things in this guide, so make sure to pay attention until the end.
Hire The Best Company:
Before anything else, you need to hire the best shipping company for the job. And for that, you need the following things:
- Use Google to find the best shipping companies in your area and make a list of top search results with contact details
- Contact every company and get both the shipping quotes and references
- Those that dont offer references drop them
- Now out of the remaining ones, see who has the best reviews from references, on Google listing and social media pages
- Now you will have 2-3 companies, compare their prices, experience, delivery time and other features and select the best one
Select How You Want to Ship:
Now is the part where you will decide whether you want to ship a car in an open container or enclosed container. If you dont know what these are, here are the definitions:
- Enclosed Container: This is the most secured form of auto transport where you will load the car in a fully covered carrier. This way, your vehicle will be safe from outside elements and other threats. However, it is the most expensive option.
- Open Carrier: The car will be out in the open at the top, the mid or lowest level of the multi-story hauler. It will be exposed to environmental elements, so if your car is not a sports or luxury car, then you can opt for this method. It is the cheapest.
Make Necessary Preparations:
Once you decide on the type of method you want to use for car shipping, it is time that you make some necessary preparations before handing it over to the carrier. Here are a few things to do:
- Get the car checked at the mechanic shop to ensure it has no loose wires, faulty brakes, or other problems.
- Have the car properly washed so you can see if there are any dents or scratches on it. Get everything on video so you can make claims if anything happens to the car during transit.
- Only keep a quarter of the tank filled because more fuel will increase the cars weight which will increase its shipping cost
- Take out everything that is valuable and non-essential including the tape and GPS as these things are not covered in the insurance
- Make sure to turn off the alarm or teach the truck driver how to do it so if it goes off during the transit; he can turn it off
Designate and Ship:
Once you are done with everything, you need to do one more thing before you sign the paperwork and hand over the car, and that is; designate someone at the drop off location. The car will be unloaded at the terminal of the shipping company.
So you need someone to pick it up and take it to your desired location. Some car shipping companies also offer this service, so you can ask yours if you cannot designate someone.
Just keep the above-mentioned things in your mind when you decide to ship the car and also be sure to ask for the contact details of the trailer driver. You might need to call him a few times during transit to stay updated on the progress.
For More Information Car Transport Company